For those planning on spending Valentine’s Day at home, these mussels are the perfect romantic meal to share. Mussels are relatively inexpensive and easy to make, but will definitely impress your babe.
I promise that this recipe is super fun, easy and fast that anyone could make this recipe. In fact, make these together and share the experience.
- 3 lbs. fresh mussels
- 1 link of chorizo approx. 3 oz. (I prefer spicy)
- 1 medium Spanish onion- chopped
- 16 oz. of stock (either chicken, veggie or seafood)
- 3 cloves garlic- minced
- 1 cup cilantro- gently chopped
- 1 can of Ro*Tel Original (should be able to find this at your local grocery store)
- Olive Oil
- 1 jalapeno- chopped
- Make sure to thoroughly wash and clean your mussels. The last thing you want is sand in your finished dish.
- Soak your mussels for 30 minutes in a large bowl filled with water and a handful of flour, this helps get the sand out of the mussel.
- Drain the mussels and clean off the mussels with a brush under running water. Throw out any mussels that aren’t tightly shut
- Prepare a pot on the stove and heat up olive oil (approx. 2 Tablespoons) over medium heat
- Remove the chorizo from the casing (I snip one end and squeeze it out) and begin cooking the chorizo. Once the chorizo begins to brown add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the mix.
- After the ingredients start to cook down, add in the mussels, Ro*Tel tomato’s and stock, and give it a good stir. Cover the pot and let it cook for 8-10 minutes, until the mussels open.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and transfer to your serving bowl. Generously garnish with cilantro and add some jalapeno for extra heat.
- ENJOY IMMEDIATELY.
This would be delicious with some toasted French bread to dip in the sauce. You could prepare while the mussels are soaking and pop them in the oven when you start cooking.
Bon Appetite and Enjoy!