You might be thinking- what does this Chinese girl know about making corned beef and cabbage. And I don’t. I’m not an expert, but I do know that this is tasty- not necessarily authentic, but really good. Bonus: it’s approved by my half Irish boyfriend. 😉
This recipe is super easy to make and perfect for those in a time crunch.
Ingredients for Corned Beef
- 4 lbs of Pre-Marinated Corned Beef, should come with a package of spices (save this for later)
- 3 lbs Carrots, peeled and quartered- I LOVE Trader Joe’s Organic Carrots of Many Colors
- 3 lbs Baby Potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 2 strips Bacon, chopped into pieces
- 1 large Yellow Onion Quartered
- 1 Qt. Chicken Stock- low sodium
- Water as needed
- Parsley for garnish
- Dutch oven or oven proof pot
- Preheat the oven to 300 degree Fahrenheit
- Heat up the Dutch oven over the stove and begin rendering the bacon.
- Once the bacon fat has melted, placed the corned beef and sear, approximately 3 minutes each side.
- Remove the corned beef from the pot
- Place all your veggies (carrots, potatoes, onion) into the pot and stir so that they’re mixed
- Put your corned beef back on top of the veggies and add the spice pack that came with the corned beef
- Pour in the chicken stock and water until liquid reaches the corned beef (not fully submerged)
- Keep the Dutch oven on the stove until it comes to a low boil
- Cover the Dutch oven and move to the oven- allow it to cook for 2 hours or until the corned beef is fork tender, flip once after an hour
Cabbage is a vegetable that isn’t appreciated thoroughly. This recipe will be a hit and will on repeat all on its own.
- 1 full head Cabbage, remove the outermost layer and cut into thick slices
- 4 strips bacon, chopped into pieces
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- Chili Flakes
- Olive oil
- Coat the pieces of cabbage with olive oil, chili flakes, salt and pepper
- Render the bacon in a non stick pan with garlic until aromatic, do a little at a time so that you can render new bacon between each piece of cabbage
- Cook the pieces of cabbage until brown on each side
- At the end if you have cabbage pieces that fell off, sauté it all together at the end. You won’t want to waste any of this!
Serve together and you’ll have a household of happy campers! Enjoy!