So one of my best friends is getting married THIS WEEKEND! T-Minus 3 DAYS! Can’t believe the big day is coming up so soon. I’m fortunate enough to be standing up in her wedding and don’t have to buy a dress to attend, but I’ve had several friends ask me what to wear to this event. I’ve been offering my humble advise and have been trying to help, because I understand the struggle with finding the perfect wedding attendee dress.
For me it’s all about finding something that’s appropriate for the wedding venue/theme along with something that’s versatile enough to wear to other occasions and doesn’t break the bank. I figured if my friends are asking, that there might be more of you out there that are on the same struggle bus so here are some of my top picks for this wedding season.
Short Dresses for a Semi-Formal Wedding
Trixxi Floral Print High Neck Skater Dress | Topshop Off the Shoulder Lace Dress | BCBG AMII STRAPLESS A-LINE DRESS | Akira PRINT CUPCAKE DRESS | BCBG CAILYN BURNOUT FLORAL PRINT DRESS | Anthropologie Emma Dress | Chelsea28‘Peek-A-Boo’ Cold Shoulder Shift Dress
For the semi-formal wedding, I love a short hemline with bright colors and fun prints. Key to keeping it semi-formal is sticking with a silhouette that’s a little looser and more conservative. Love a good fit and flare for these events! PLUS most of the dresses I found for this are on MAJOR sale!
Long Dresses for a Semi-Formal Wedding
Adelyn Rae Strapless Print Chiffon Maxi Dress | Way-In Floral Print Popover Maxi Dress | Keepsake the Label ‘Mercy’ V-Neck Maxi Dress | June & Hudson Floral Print High/Low Wrap Dress |Ten Sixty Sherman Button Front Maxi Dress | AUGUSTE BOHEME GODDESS MAXI DRESS | BCBG CRESSIDA LACE-TRIM HIGH-LOW DRESS
Maxi’s are perfect for dressing up or down and are a great alternative for a semi-formal wedding. Love Maxi’s in floral prints or with a unique hemline.
Short Dresses for a Formal Wedding
Adrianna Papell Sequin Mesh Blouson Dress | J.O.A. Lattice Trim Fit & Flare Dress | LACE & BEADS ‘Texas’ Embellished Slipdress | J.O.A. Lace Sweetheart Off the Shoulder Dress | Revolve LACE FEATHER PEPLUM DRESS | Revolve OFF THE SHOULDER RUFFLE DRESS | Akira THE GARDEN OF DELIGHT DRESS | BCBG TEENA LACE INSERTS HALTER DRESS
Formal weddings call for some bling, bodycon, and some skin- but not necessarily all three. Remember it’s still a wedding and therefore a sacred event. Don’t want to upset the bride by coming in with a scandalous dress that has everyone talking (not in a good way). Keep it classy and fun!
Long Dresses for a Formal Wedding
Morgan & Co. Lace Bodice Gown | Ali & Jay Cutout Back Crepe Maxi Dress | MISSGUIDED Side Split Maxi Dress | Akira GRACIA I’M TAKING YOU WITH ME DRESS | Akira FLOWY MAXI DRESS| Nasty Gal Great Lengths Plunging Dress | Nasty Gal Lavish Alice Float On Flare Jumpsuit – Navy
With a maxi dress for a formal wedding, you can experiment with a lot of different styles and textures. Dress maxi’s up with a great pair of heels and statement jewelry. Great opportunity to try a chic jumpsuit!
All in all, just remember that you’re there to attend someone else’s wedding. The bride and groom have worked so hard to plan a special event and have chosen to share it with you. Help to make all their wedding dreams come true by dressing accordingly. Be respectful of the venue, time and theme that they’re trying to go for. And when in doubt with what to wear, reach out!
Hope this helped! Happy wedding season!
Oh boy, Father’s Day is right around the corner and my father is the HARDEST person to shop for. He really doesn’t need anything and never says what he wants, so leaving me scrambling at the last minute to figure out what to get. Well I’ve made it easy for you and gathered a few gift ideas for every budget and every type of dad to make this Father’s Day a breeze.
For the Sporty Dad
- Personalized Golf Balls: These make for a great personal gift for the golfer in your family. That way they’ll feel like you’re with them on the course.
- Fitbit Blaze: The newest FitBit in the line and this one won’t disappoint, the smooth look and functionality will keep your dad fit and fashionable.
- Nike Hat: This Nike Dri-Fit hat will allow you to FINALLY get rid of that sweat stained hat your dad’s always wearing. Time for an upgrade? I think so!
For the Grill Master
- Monogrammed: This monogrammed set from William Sonoma will stand the test of time. Perfect for the grill master that wants to mark their territory. Super chic but manly, this set will be on display every time he’s on the grill.
- Apron: An apron is a must for any dad willing to take on the grill. The funnier the better!
- Grill Master Crate: Love the gifts from Man Crates. Think of it like a Birchbox for men. These crates are so thoughtfully put together and the packaging is incredible. Love the fun seasonings and specialty items this one comes with.
For the Dad on the Go
- Bose Headphones: Every dad that’s on the go for work or for pleasure should get a pair of these Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones. These will help mute out the noise and enjoy the journey. Plus the new styles and colors adds a luxe element to their look.
- iPhone Wallet Case: This iPhone case makes everything so much easier. No need to carry a wallet, the case will hold everything your dad needs when he’s on the road. Love the leathered look and it’ll make it easier for him to pull out his cc when he pays for dinner 😉
- Travel Bag: No more ziplock baggies- PLEASE. Your dad is a grown man and should keep his belongs in a bag that shows it. Perfect to throw in their duffle, this bag will keep all his toiletries in one place, nice and neat.
If I haven’t covered your dad in this round up, let me know! I have plenty more ideas, trust me… shopping is a bad habit to break.
Anyways if your dad’s more into adventures, check out my iFly post for a great time for the whole family!
Happy Monday ya’ll! If you’re anything like me, this day couldn’t go by any slower. Why are Mondays seriously the worst? Even with the best mindset going in, I always feel like Mondays like to take a sh*t on you and your life. The only thing you can really do to overcome it is a big glass of wine and reminisce about the weekend.
I had the opportunity to go check out iFly this weekend with the babe and his family. I had gotten us these tickets for Christmas and just now redeemed them- woops. But regardless of that, we had a BLAST. Seriously some of the most exciting and adventurous thing I’ve done in awhile and everyone had fun. This is something really for the whole family.
iFly takes you through a instruction video and your instructor will teach you the basics. The staff was amazing, extremely patient and had a good sense of humor. After the instructions were given, they got you suited up in a suit, goggles and helmets (talk about a sexy look…). From there you formed a line and got into the tunnel. One by one you were taken into the wind chamber and experienced 1 min of “flying”. This was such a cool feeling, being able to fly and feeling weightless. After your first turn, you can opt to go up high with the instructor ($10.00 additional charge) or just fly low again for a minute. We opted to go up and it was so exciting. That experience felt more free and liberating, I can see why it becomes addicting.
All in all, we had such a great time at iFly and I highly recommend it to anyone that’s looking for a little adventure in their lives. We’ll definitely be back for more!
The struggle is real when it comes to prepping a weekday meal. Time’s limited and the last thing you want to do is spend a lot of time in the kitchen after work- I don’t know about you but I get HANGRY when I’m I have to wait to eat.
This meal is super easy to make and requires few ingredients for each portion and bonus, it’s healthy and tasty! You could also serve these items up separately and add it to your daily routine.
- Large Portobello’s (prepare as many as you’re going to serve)
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Balsamic Glaze (they have this available in at the grocery store)
- Brush the portobello tops with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill or cook on a grill pan for about 5 mins on each side or to your desired texture.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze and enjoy!
Feta Spinach Turkey Patties
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 3 oz. Feta Cheese (or more if you’d like it cheesier)
- 1 small onion- diced
- 2 cups spinach roughly chopped
- Garlic powder, salt, pepper
- Mix the top 4 ingredients together and season with the last 3 ingredients to your liking
- Form the patties the way you’d like. With this recipe it can make 2 large patties or 3 medium sized.
- Cook on the stove for about 8-10 mins each size and let the patties rest for about 5 mins. Make sure they’re fully cooked.
- Serve with Portobello heads or buns
Roasted/Grilled Cauliflower with Chimichurri Sauce
- 1 Cauliflower head
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- Crushed red pepper, salt, pepper,
- Olive oil
- Trim the base of the cauliflower (no leaves) and cut the cauliflower in thick pieces
- Drizzle the cauliflower steaks with olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- Cook on the grill or in a 400 degree oven until tender (approx. 20 mins, though the grill maybe faster)
- Prepare the chimichurri sauce by adding the garlic, onion and parsley to a blender or food processor. Pulse those ingredients while drizzling in olive oil until you have a combined mixture. Pour the sauce into a serving dish and season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper and stir.
- Serve the cauliflower with this sauce and enjoy. Save the sauce up to 2 weeks, it goes great with just about any veggie or meat!
I hope these recipes add some variety to your weekday.
FYI: these recipes store really well and would be delicious for lunch the next day!
Bon Appetit- Selina
Hey ya’ll- Hope you had a great mdw! Was this Tuesday not the longest day ever? Please don’t let Tuesdays become the new Mondays <fingers crossed>.
So I’ve been on a brunch kick. Who doesn’t love mimosas and breakfast and lunch foods? I love the combination and the fact that pretty much anything goes. Plus brunch always feels super chic and classy. Definitely one of the easier meals to host and entertain.
I made this brunch meal for Mother’s Day a few weeks ago and repeated it again this past weekend. It’s been a hit every time so far with everybody!
I would keep your menu very basic and straight forward. I chose to do 1 sweet dish, and 2 savory mains (1 breakfast and 1 lunch item) along with a couple easy to prepare sides.
My sweet dish was from Chrissy Teigen’s cookbook Crave. If I haven’t said it enough already, this book is amazing. Her French Toast recipe was OUT OF THIS WORLD. So boozy and delicious it had everyone eating seconds and thirds. Best of all you could prepare everything the night before and all you had to do was pop it in the oven in the morning. Simple! So everyone- BUY HER BOOK.
Next item on the menu was breakfast hash brown cups. Perfect for meal prep actually and they hold very well. Plus they look adorable- presentation is everything.
- 1 bag frozen hash brown
- shredded cheese – I like spicy pepper-jack
- non-stick spray
- cupcake tray
- green onion or chives
- 1/4 butter- melted
- salt & pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F. Thaw hash-browns according to their directions. Spray the cupcake tray with non-stick spray (make sure to get every nook and cranny. Mix the hash browns with some salt, pepper and the melted butter. PACK the bottom of the cupcake trays with the mixture and pop it into the oven for 10-15 mins or until they start browning.
- While the hash brown is baking, start to cook your bacon. Keep the strips nice and straight and cook until they’re about done, but not crispy. If they crisp up, it’ll be impossible to form the correct shape.
- Take the hash browns out of the oven. Curl the cooked bacon inside the tin above the hash browns. Try to make sure they touch so that the egg won’t run out.
- Sprinkle some cheese on top of the hash browns and then crack an egg on top. Be careful not to crack the yolk!
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and green onion and pop it back into the oven. Should take about 8-10 mins to cook. I like my yolk a little runny so it’s up to your preference!
- Carefully take out the bites (I use a rubber spatula) and serve hot.
Can be refrigerated and reheated up to a week!
Next up is that something lunch oriented.
I follow Giada’s Salmon Cake recipe with some minor modifications. I use wheat saltines and add in some green onion into the combination. Make these the night before and refrigerate them over night. Then all you have to do in the morning is give it a quick pan fry.
For my sauce, I add in some Sriracha for a kick and more flavor.
Serve the cakes over a bed of arugula, fresh tomatoes and a squeeze of lemon.
Try these brunch tips and recipes and let me know what you think! Remember to make things easy for yourself so you can enjoy your company!